March 25, Fineko/abc.az. The coronavirus pandemic and the collapse of world energy prices caused economic problems in many countries. At the same time, oil exporting countries, including Azerbaijan, faced the biggest economic challenge. The country's banks play major role in eliminating the negative impact of the coronavirus pandemic and lowering oil prices. We spoke with Shakir Rahimov, the Chairman of the Supervisory Board of one of the country's leading banks – “Bank Respublika” about the situation in the economy of Azerbaijan amid falling oil prices and the fight against the spread of the coronavirus .
1) probably, the most important is the reaction and behavior of the country's administration in a crisis situation. It is encouraging that logical decisions are taken quickly and then successfully implemented. I would like to underline the personal initiative of Mr. President in this scope;
2) budgetary rules have been adopted to reduce the negative impact of oil price volatility on the country's budget, which allows to ensure all social obligations of the state;
3) we have increased international reserves since 2015, and if we compare the ratio of reserves to the country's GDP in US dollar terms, this figure is much higher than it was in 2015;
4) low ratio of external debt to GDP;
5) tighter control over speculative currency transactions;
6) reforms in the tax and customs spheres that led to a significant whitening of the economy and an increase in tax and customs duties (it should be mentioned that given the importance of business for the development of the economy this whitening in the tax sphere carried out more through motivation than punitive measures, and I am sure that the merge of the Ministry of Taxes and the Ministry of Economic Development will help to continue this strategy);
7) the implementation of an exceptional model of synthesis of new generation’s managers (knowing many of them, I can say that these are high-class professionals) with experienced older generation’s managers.
By a decree of March 19 Mr. President demonstrated the most important in the current situation: that the government will provide the necessary support to the population and the private sector. In accordance with the decree, 1 billion manat was allocated to support the economy, social sphere and macroeconomic stability. It is noteworthy that we were one of the firsts to allocate money from the budget for these purposes. The Ministry of Economy, the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Labor and Social Protection and the Central Bank were given exact tasks: revealing sectors of the economy and segments of the population to suffer most from the COVID-19 pandemic; preparing and providing the Cabinet of Ministers with the information on the levels of potential losses in these areas and suggesting measures to support these groups; assessment of the negative impact of the coronavirus pandemic on the banking sector and macroeconomics; preparation of proposals to support the stability of manat and consumer prices.
By another presidential decree was created a support Fund to Fight coronavirus, to which the state transferred 20 million manat. It is very heartwarming that not only the public but also the private sectors responded promptly to the president’s call to demonstrate its social responsibility. In just a couple of days, more than 40 million manat was transferred to the fund. The banking sector immediately supported the initiative of Mr. President.
Among the measures taken, I highly appreciate the First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva’s address to the nation aimed to comfort and educate population of applying of principles of precaution, personal responsibility and care about the elder generation. I hope that other famous people will follow her example.
- How do banks see their social responsibility? What are banks and, particularly, Bank Republic doing in this direction?
- It is very important to note that banks, realizing their social and state responsibility could correctly react to emerged needs: to ensure uninterrupted supply of necessary goods to the country banks transferred entrepreneurs’ funds swiftly in the same time continuously serving a large flow of individuals. Banks have been working seven days a week and almost without breaks during the last weeks. I am very proud of all banks’ employees, who, despite the risks, tiredness and many other problems, were working courageously, spoke to a large number of customers fulfilling their civic duty. An important role in the coordinated work of banks played the Central Bank of Azerbaijan and the Association of Banks of Azerbaijan. Meetings were held and crucial decisions were made almost every day.
Bank Respublika, being one of the leading banks in the country, showed once again its social responsibility at these challenging times. Thus, the bank was among top three in terms of the number and amount of transactions with the population, serving customers in all branches without setting any limits. The bank was one of the first to transfer money to the Fund to Fight the pandemic, one of the firsts to respond to the call of Mr. President to join the program of self-employment of the population. Following the recommendations of the operational headquarters, the bank transferred all customer-entrepreneurs using the old version of Internet banking to a more modern and convenient version, enabling customers to remotely conduct all operations.
- Well, the final question: as you said, external shocks led to problems in many sectors of our economy. What, in your opinion, should the state bodies and banks do to compensate the negative consequences?
- In my opinion, the government should take the following main measures:
1) to provide temporary tax benefits for entrepreneurs affected by coronavirus;
2) to provide additional tax and customs preferences to companies that did not lay off their employees;
3) to provide temporary compensation to the least protected layers of population who have lost their sources of income due to the coronavirus;
4) to more actively attract small and medium enterprises to participate in tenders announced by the government;
5) to strengthen the lending through state funds (Entrepreneurs Development Fund, Agency for Agricultural Loans and Development, etc.);
6) to support banks in micro lending development, especially in the regions;
7) to subsidize part of the interest of loans to entrepreneurs and consumer loans;
1) improve remote service channels and ensure their safety;
2) develop mechanisms for providing customers with a grace period. Of course, the regulator - the Central Bank - should support banks by prudential regulation relaxation and providing the needed liquidity.
Основным источником экономического роста в Азербайджане по-прежнему является нефтегазовый сектор. Хотя в последние годы правительство сосредоточилось на диверсификации экономики, пандемия в сочетании с падением цен на нефть показала, насколько уязвимой остается экономика.
Человечество столкнулось с новым вызовом - пандемия изменила жизни миллиардов людей. В этих условиях жизненно важно уметь трансформироваться, не бояться перемен и видеть новые возможности для развития. Об этом и многом другом поговорили с председателем правления Yelo Bank Николозом Шургаиа.
Палата аудиторов, являющаяся регулирующим органом, поддержала мероприятия, организованные в стране, рекомендовала аудиторским организациям, являющимся членами Палаты, и независимым аудиторам в максимально возможной степени отложить исполнение аудиторских соглашений, чтобы предотвратить возникновение угрозы коронавируса, и, в соответствии с условиями, работать в режиме удаленной работы.
Во многих странах мира в последнее время наблюдается нестабильная ситуация из-за распространения вируса COVID-19. Финансово-банковский сектор, как и многие сферы экономики, переживает непростые времена.
Охватившая мир коронавирусная инфекция COVID-19 привела к снижению экономической активности практически во всех странах. Но как этот процесс влияет на банковский сектор, являющийся ключевым для экономики?
Сегодня весь мир столкнулся с очень сложной ситуацией, где государства должны оперативно принимать решения, связанные как со здоровьем своих граждан, так и с решением экономических проблем. Наше правительство максимально быстро реагирует и принимает меры по смягчению последствий пандемии.
08 Июля 2020 | 21:26
08 Июля 2020 | 17:52
08 Июля 2020 | 17:48
08 Июля 2020 | 17:44
08 Июля 2020 | 17:34
08 Июля 2020 | 17:10
08 Июля 2020 | 16:59
08 Июля 2020 | 16:43
08 Июля 2020 | 16:32
08 Июля 2020 | 16:26
08 Июля 2020 | 16:18
08 Июля 2020 | 16:16
08 Июля 2020 | 16:07
08 Июля 2020 | 15:45
08 Июля 2020 | 16:26
08 Июля 2020 | 15:45
08 Июля 2020 | 14:48
08 Июля 2020 | 11:14
08 Июля 2020 | 11:07
08 Июля 2020 | 11:38
08 Июля 2020 | 11:50
08 Июля 2020 | 16:16
08 Июля 2020 | 16:32